Tuesday 3 March 2015

Modern Day Samaritan Woman

Mending Burnt Bridges, Knotting Tongues and avoiding emotional Mudslides.

Life is a journey…and like all journeys the landscape changes and so too does the road surface. Sometimes the road is clear and straight and smooth. The landscape is breath-taking and beautiful.

We go to work, manage our homes, and love our children and families well enough…It’s all …Easy… Blessed… Happy and Smooth Sailing. You can see where you are going and for the longest time and it a nice safe place to be. It seems like you finally have it all together…Things can only get better from here on in

……Until……

suddenly and usually without warning you go round a bend and the landscape and road surface are not the same anymore. It’s barren and painfully ugly…You can’t understand how you got there, how did it change so unexpectedly.

Sometimes the road is only scattered with thousands of tiny pebbles… not too bad…merely minor irritations, but if you travel along that road surface long enough and those mild irritations turn to HUGE BOULDERS of annoyance, unfairness, intolerance and downright ANGER. This is the time when………….


A word out of your mouth makes all the difference between crossing bridges and burning them…..

 Mending Burnt Bridges


God’s Word clearly warns us to guard our tongues.  Yet it’s also one of the hardest things we find to do. I, certainly have a very hard time controlling my tongue and being quiet during these times. 

As the pressure mounts and the irritations pile up, so too does the desire to lash out and find relief. The thoughts roll around in my head, the unfairness, the dishonesty, whatever pebbles are scattered in my path at that time don’t let up and I find myself brooding about those things at work, at home, when I’m trying to sleep, as soon as I wake up... Always there, demanding to be let out…  

I know that I have to be particularly careful with loved ones during these times of stress, yet I invariably fail and my tongue gets to have its way.

Admittedly, it brings a very brief satisfaction, but only very briefly and then I feel awful. A huge emotional mud slide of self-reproach and regret invariably floods over me and I wish I hadn't said a word, almost immediately afterwards. My stomach tenses and then I know I will function with the hollow feeling of shame and remorse for a few days before I start to feel better.


 Mending Burnt Bridges

Thankfully, I serve the God of new beginnings who doesn't leave me in that place but has provided for me a way out of that horrible place. I’m comforted to read in scripture that I am not the only person plagued by relentless thoughts and an uncontrollable tongue.


However, I am more comforted by Grace…God’s Grace and Mercy that follows me and picks me up again…Precious Holy Spirit folds me in endless layers of Grace and Peace, while directing me to God’s Word and after spending time relating to the people and their sins that are so familiar to me, and then finding God’s solutions to these sins…chewing on them...and feeling better as I do. Restoring my soul....

 Mending Burnt Bridges

I found that instead of brooding on all the perceived injustices and irritations I should rather……….focus on....

Philippians 4:8 For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]."(AMP)

 Mending Burnt Bridges

When I do those things…I can avoid the unpleasantness and rather mend my bridges instead of burn them….I can build up instead of break down…..

How about you? How do you manage your tongue? Do you succeed or are you more like me…

*Hugs* till next time.

Ariéte

No comments:

Post a Comment