Wednesday 20 May 2015


Modern Day Samaritan Woman


Lessons in Grace/Mercy/Acceptance as given by Lamb Chops, Spit Braai and 101 assorted Poultry and Live Stock…



Sometimes I get weary...

No it’s more accurate to say, I basically feel weary every single day…

I don’t start out my day that way. I usually wake up refreshed, positive and ready for the day, but then as the day progresses and my brain is filled with all the conflicting messages and tensions and negativity that floods the mind and body from the headlines, the news, even my own Face Book, I end up weary because seriously this world has become a scary place to be in. It’s frightening sending my loved ones out every day, knowing they are facing the unpredictable and that there are no safe places.  

This world is literally falling apart and the evil that men can do, knows no boundaries.

So in the late afternoons when I go home, it’s with no small sigh of relief that I enter my gates…my sanctuary from the chaos … escape into my home… shed my corporate cloak and change into my own Ariete – Mommy skin and retreat for a time into my back yard to tend to the animals.

Here there are NO deadlines and NO pretensions

It is here that I can focus on what really matters.

I think about the people struggling to survive the Earthquakes in Nepal not knowing whether their loved ones have survived or not.

I think about the women in Africa that live in mud huts, walk for four (4) hours a day just to Collecting Water a Daily Chore for their homes.

I think about the Young Girls lives Destroyed whose lives are being destroyed by ISIS.

I think about the Farmers and their families attacked.that are being butchered almost daily, often for nothing more than their mobile phones and some cash.

I think about the many “Missing men and woman.” whose photos are displayed on my Face Book daily and wonder where they are.

I think about the Children who are abused and hidden from the world, having to face their nightmare existence alone.

I think about the thousands of Young People swept up in the wave of drug abuse.

I think about the homeless, abandoned people who are invisible in plain sight.

I think about the elderly, alone and lonely and some even suffering from Unspeakable abuse by their own caregivers.

I think about the animals that suffer in cages, just because mankind has no mercy left.

AND THESE THINGS OVERWHELM ME AND LEAVE ME FEELING HELPLESS AND HOPELESS…BECAUSE I CAN'T FIX ANY OF IT...

 and 

Another day has passed and I haven’t in anyway touched even one of those lives… not even in a thought or prayer because I have been too busy with my life for the day. I secretly am ashamed to admit to myself that I am relieved that I am not in a disaster situation, not knowing where my loved ones are, that’s it’s not my loved one that is missing…that I have running water all the way into my home.

I imagine having a conversation with the unknown women in Africa who walk for miles, with heavy water cans, just to supply water daily to their homes and I wonder what they would say to me about my life. I wonder what the mother, whose baby girl, was sold by ISIS as a sex toy, would say were she to know what trivialities I fret about from day to day, in comparison to her.

During this time of reflection, prayer, admonishing myself for having my priorities all wrong, I watch my animals and notice in their actions an example of real godliness and my senses are filled and overpowered by the “Amazing Grace” of God.


Lamb Chops, my sheep does not have a single evil bone in her body and I don’t think she has many thoughts, if any, but she approaches me boldly every afternoon, bleating her welcome and fully expecting that I will have some treat in my hand for her to eat. She reminds me daily that my Shepherd is ever near, ready to provide and protect me…and yet I am not nearly as bold as she is, because I know He sees my thoughts and heart and like Adam and Eve, I want to hide. Then a soft breeze brushes across my skin and I become aware that the Grace of God is resting on me, because He knew that I would fail, so He came and saved me, despite me.


“Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.” The Message


Spit Braai, my goat, charges at me enthusiastically every time he sees me, always excited to see that I am home and pressing into my legs closely, expecting to be rubbed and loved. He has no apologies for being alive and struts his stuff among the other animals, clearly very confident that he belongs in this community. He reminds me that I too am a part of the Body of Christ and yet where is my confidence? As a member of the Body of Christ, I am His Ambassador right here and now in this very evil world. Yet, I spend my energy and time on things that will not stand the test of time. Shamefully, I cast my eyes down and see a trail of ants, working tirelessly and I am reminded that like these ants, my God neither slumbers nor sleeps and He is working in me, daily transforming me into the image of Christ. His Grace is sufficient for me.

Psalm 145:8“God is all mercy and grace— not quick to anger, is rich in love.” The Message


When I bring out the bowl of corn and feed, from the shed I am quite literally surrounded by 101 assorted chickens, ducks, geese and assorted livestock. The welcoming calls of poultry, blended with the sheep, goats, donkey’s and horse all knowing they are about to be fed are like food for my soul. As my senses absorb the sounds and smells my soul soars with delight, because these chickens and ducks and geese, remind me that despite being the most vulnerable of all they bravely get up every day, peck their way around the garden, cluck warnings at their chicks, while roosters challenge one another for territory. Yet at feeding time, all are collectively standing side by side waiting for their feed. None of them grudges the other the space or the food. I am reminded that in Gods Kingdom all are created equal and each of us has a unique niche to fill. Once again His Grace swoops in on the menagerie of beautiful soul enriching sounds to assure my soul that He is ever present.

Matthew 6:33  “If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied withgetting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met” The Message



Clasie and Eee-Or, my donkey’s arrived at my small holding wild and mistrusting. I don’t know what happened to them at their previous home and it has taken me several weeks to patiently coax them nearer to accept carrots from my hands. They remind me that my Saviour also patiently and lovingly had to coax me nearer while I obstinately watched and ignored the outstretched hand. Yet He has never gave up on me… No matter how I fail I can always turn around and see His outstretched Hand offering me and my loved ones eternity.


“I call Heaven and Earth to witness against you today: I place before you Life and Death, Blessing and Curse. Choose life so that you and your children will live. And love God, your God, listening obediently to him, firmly embracing him. Oh yes, he is life itself, a long life settled on the soil that God, your God, promised to give your ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” The Message


Cuquinha, my miniature horse jealously and zealously guards me. According to her I belong solely to her and she doesn’t really like anyone in “our” space which is all around me, yet she reminds me that I am surrounded at all sides by the Grace and Mercy of God. He jealously and zealously guards my heart and I am His alone. His Child…His Creation… Nothing and no one can separate me from His Love, no not even me and all of my failings…
And so when I am done with my soul reflection, and spirit revival I am restored, revived and  able to step back into my house and love my people hard and well and vulnerably and completely, knowing that despite the evil and horror in the world, God is still in control. He still has the whole world in His hands. His Grace and Mercy are sure and certain for all who turn to Him and trust Him.

I can offer my people and the people I meet and work with every day the same grace and mercy that have been freely given to me. I may not have two cents to rub together but I am wealthy beyond words... because my God Lives!!!


Do you like me sometimes feel so overwhelmed by the things going on in this world that you shrink within yourself and try to avoid facing and thinking about all the evil. Sometimes I think my heart can't stand to hear or see another evil thing.  We can relax because God is in control...we can't fix anything... we can only offer our love and compassion where we are on a daily basis. Sometimes, it is enough to start with that one person in your life… We can’t save the world.
*Hugs* till next time.
AriƩte

No comments:

Post a Comment