Tuesday 5 January 2016

Modern Day Samaritan Woman

Shattered Expectations / Glorious Hope!!!

The Return of the Samaritan Woman!!!

“Courage”

In order to understand this blog post properly it’s important to read the blog post explaining the name of this blog first …It can be found here...

If you have been following my blog you will know that I was remarried just a little over a year ago and that I was no longer a “real” Samaritan Woman; however I am sad to say that this marriage was doomed to failure. I’m not going to dwell on the reasons (to spare the not so innocent) but suffice to say that step children wield a lot more power over a parent than is usually apparent.

Yes my heart and life are shattered because I had truly believed my long wait for a life partner was over and I had all sorts of expectations for the future… Laying them down has been difficult. I know from previous experience that in order to take up new dreams you have to lay the old ones down. I know this; but I do not like this…

Laying down dreams is never an easy feat.

I can so vividly imagine the original Samaritan Woman of John 4 standing outside her home, on a dusty road, clutching her belongings, wringing her hands together, struggling to breathe because her chest was so constricted with pain and wondering where to go…the many times she found herself between lives and between husbands…

Genesis 3:16
To the woman He said, “……. Yet your desire and longing will be for your husband, And he will rule [with authority] over you and be responsible for you.” (AMP) Emphasis my own

I can relate to her because I was her and I am her again…I stood on my own dusty road, so many thousands of years later, and bid farewell to my hubby, (my heart) whom I had adored, my beloved farm animals, my life and beautiful dreams, and found myself wringing my own hands, my own heart constricted with pain that made breathing unbearable, and then drove away from them and everything I had invested into for the past year and a half…
I have to say I did have a choice. I could have stayed and permitted myself to be misused and emotionally abused or I could make the necessary; but difficult choices in order to find peace of mind and retain the last remaining self-respect that I still possessed.

I CHOSE THE LATTER.

I am in no ways endorsing divorce or advocating for it. (To know my heart for my marriage please read this). For those who know my heart I am so in favour of marriage, of sticking together through the good and the bad, for better and for worse; but I am intelligent enough to know that it must come equally from both sides. That compromise and sacrifice must be a joint effort. A marriage must comprise of God, Husband and Wife…No one else…

And just like that… I was the Samaritan Woman again…shamed, discarded, disposable…The sacrifices and investment I had made suddenly meaningless…

I found myself between lives. I no longer belonged in the life I had; but I didn’t have a new one either…

During the December holidays and into the New Year, I spent my time largely on my own… and in my private world and in my private time the word “Courage” became my mantra…

Psalm 27:14
“Wait for and confidently expect the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for and confidently expect the Lord” (AMP)

My mind again dwelled on the original Samaritan Woman of John 4 and I wondered how many hours and days she spent on her own…How many dreams did she have to lay down?

 How much inner strength did she have to possess to get up in the morning again? How much sorrow did she conceal between fake smiles? How many days would go by before she heard from loved one who were too busy living their own lives? I can understand her loneliness and desperation. I can understand why she made the choices she made because like her I do not like to be alone. I have love to give, lots of it, but no one to give it to…


Until, my Maker reminded me that He is near. I can love Him… He will be my husband. He is my provision, my future and He is the One who will ensure my safety…


Hosea 2:16
“In that coming day,” says the Lord, “she will call me ‘My Husband’ instead of ‘My Master.’ (TLB) Emphasis my own
He wants to hear from me. He loves to hear my tales and as I draw nearer to Him, He draws nearer to me and while I share my sorrow, my hopes and my insecurities with Him, He draws me into His lap and holds me close…

He whispers to me that He has a Glorious hope and future in store for me…

He is the One that brushes my hair off my forehead when He gently kisses me goodnight and tucks me in at night to sleep…

He is the One who watches while I sleep and guards me from evil.

He is the One who wakens me in the morning, painting a beautiful picture in the sky just to show me how much He loves me.

The story of the Samaritan Woman has not come to an end yet. I am she and I still live, as do thousands of other women just like me…

Yet we do not need to despair…

We have the glorious hope…in Jesus…

The Lover of our Souls…

*Hugs* till next time.

Ariéte

No comments:

Post a Comment