Modern Day Samaritan Woman
Interceding for My Broken Marriage
Taking it to the Heavenlies
In my previous blog post I made a very bold announcement regarding my marriage and my intentions to step up and pray very hard for the restoration of my marriage.
The announcement was bold and remains bold, as for all intents and purposes the marriage is over and there is no chance of reconciliation.
I indicated that I would write down the practical steps that I have taken to remain true to my intentions.
The first thing I realised was that I had to stand firm and become emotionally stable in order to do what I needed to do.
So this is what I did and am still doing:
- I selected and spoke to a trusted girlfriend regarding my intentions and she agreed to support me in prayer cover and in person. When the going gets tough (and it does) we all need that one girlfriend to support us.
Practical Steps Taken
Regardless of outward appearances, I had to put my faith where my mouth was and stand firm on Hebrews 11:1
- I spend my evenings differently than usual. Instead of watching television I delve deeply into the Word of God. (Since I am alone in the evenings I have all the time in the world).
- I have always had a personal devotional book that I follow daily and as I read the scriptures of the day, I memorized those scriptures and internalized them to make them mine. (Interestingly the entire month of January scriptures comprised of the love of God and how I should apply that love to others including / and especially towards those that were my enemies and/or had hurt me.
- I decided to revisit Rick Warrens Book of the “Purpose Driven Life”, just to reacquaint myself with the basics and complete the Journal that accompanied the book (again). It’s amazing how quickly we forget things.
- I started a Prayer Journal specifically to record the prayers I was praying for my husband and for my marriage.
- I made up cards on which I quoted a scripture to “speak life” into my husband’s life rather than think / speak harm, and glued these blessings alongside my prayer every day.
- Last year I was challenged to a thirty-one day challenge of praying while covering my head (You can read about it here)and during that time I was directed by God to start a “Prayer Wall” on which the names of loved ones and friends would be placed and as I prayed specifically for each one I could write down things as they came to mind. My prayer life has changed dramatically since this revelation.
- I have since added a picture I found on face book from Toby Macs Wall and my wedding rings are safety attached to the picture and up on the wall. As I pray for my marriage and my husband I can touch his name as well as the picture with my wedding rings.
During the Day Time (Work)
- During the day I would find my mind wondering to my husband and often I would depress myself with thoughts of things that were said and done. This activity was counter-productive and one day God planted a thought into my mind to rather utilize these times to pray positively for him, than to brood about things that have passed. Sometimes, I really felt very hard done by and didn’t really want to bless him with good prayers, but as I obeyed and prayed in obedience I discovered that this actually assisted me to feel more stable emotionally and I didn’t end my day depressed. Instead I was more in control of my emotions.
This is a work in progress. I haven’t yet found anything on the internet to provide me with guidelines, so truly this is collaboration between my Father in heaven and I.
I still don’t know what the outcome will be, but I can say that my prayer life and spiritual growth has been phenomenal.
A few days ago Father planted an image in my head of myself walking in a tunnel with no windows or doors. I have no idea how long this tunnel is but I know that it is just Father and I. He explained to me that I am going to have to walk this tunnel with him and trust only Him. There are no windows and no peepholes, so I am not going to be able to know or see what is happening with my husband. I’m not even going to know whether my husband will be on the other end. I do have a choice to turn back, but then I have to accept what I get and not complain. However, if I am willing to trust Him and simply obey, I will find the desire of my heart on the other end.
For now, this carries me through. Are you in a similar situation? Do you trust Father for the impossible? Are you standing in the gap for a loved one? God is faithful and true. Hold onto Him with both hands and He will see you through to the other end.
*Hugs* till next time